Yet another reason I love to go to Las Vegas is the Fremont Street Experience. For those that haven’t been, it’s a taste of Old Vegas. There’s something nostalgic and awesome about some of these older casinos, and all the gaudy lights they have on their signs. It’s an absolute drain of electricity, but c’mon…… it’s also a great spectacle that you don’t want to miss. There are quite a few hotels and casinos here that are within walking distance, and the street is closed off to vehicles, so there’s a lot going on outside the casinos as well. It’s best to visit in the evening, so you can see the light show they put on. Like other parts of Vegas, you can’t possibly go to all the bars and restaurants in one trip, so if you’re like me you’re always looking to try something different every time you’re there. There are a few things that I can vouch for, but I’ve still got lots of research ahead of me.
Here are 5 things that I love about Fremont St.
1. It’s not anywhere near as expensive as the strip. These are older hotels and casinos, and they are losing business to a lot of the latest and greatest properties. They know they can’t stand up to the hotels on the strip, but the prices reflect that. The gambling is cheaper, the food is cheaper, the drinks are cheaper. If you find you’re in Vegas and running out of money a little faster than you’d hoped, you can definitely stretch your dollar out a bit further at Fremont St.
2. Call me ignorant, but I can’t get enough of the freedom of walking out onto the sidewalk with a bottle of beer. You can do this anywhere in Vegas mind you, but at the Fremont Hotel, Corona and Heineken bottles are $2 all the time. Where else can you get road beers for that price?
3. The light show they have after dark, which changes periodically (so is different every time I travel there) is really cool. The one that sticks out in my mind was a tribute to the band ‘KISS’. This is happening in the middle of the street at night-time usually about once an hour. Grab a $2 beer and enjoy the free entertainment!!
4. There is zip lining available as well. I’m too scared to do it, but it looks really fun.
5. Deals on Prime Rib Dinners. I’ve had the one at Tony Roma’s at Fremont Hotel, and the one at the Gold Spike although they closed their doors this year 😦 I can’t wait to try more of them!!!
Do you know of any cool things for me to check out next time I’m there?
Do the zipline, it’s fun (we did it in St. Lucia and it was much higher off the ground than Fremont). We were scared for the first few seconds of the first run but after that it was awesome!
I’ll try to work up the courage!